On 12 Mar 2001, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Paul> Well, but users might be *very* excited about such a thing.
> Paul> Users (and lazy sysadmins) don't want to be bothered with
> Paul> sources anyway. A native win32 version based on QT would IMHO
> Paul> really smooth the way for LyX becoming *the* documentation word
> Paul> processor standard in large companies. People who need *their*
> Paul> work done are expected to not waste the time they are paid for
> Paul> with compiling sources.
>
> I do understand why a native GUI windows binary would be a good thing,
> but we have to be more ambitious than that: iwe want to infect
> windows users/developpers with the GPL virus :) More seriously, we
> will _never_ have a good windows product without a windows developpers
> community. It is as simple as that.

There's always the Cygwin-assisted version that Claus is maintaining.
It sounds like it gets good reports.  I want to try it out here on the
departments new w2k-only installations sometime soon.  At least then the
students will again have access to LyX.  (Well they do have X-win
installed and can run it on the Unix hosts or on some Sun Rays)

Allan. (ARRae)

P.S.  Come on everybody, we gotta drag this out till Friday so we can
really get the flames going.