Sorry for the delay:

I wasn't very successful at digging further into the issue. Trying with
several versions on different DE may be missleading, still, as far as I
know, there all use vala-app-menu for their global-menu applets. Insights
until today:

   - I was wrong, also older versions (2.2.x) does not work with
   gobal-menu.(Ubuntu 16.04)
   - MATE: tried again with it. Sometimes it works for a few seconds, then
   the panel applet crashes. Otherwise starting Lyx makes the applet to crash
   immediately.
   - I am still trying (with still no success) to find out ...
   - Where to report the bug for each globalmenu-applet
      - How to start applets in terminal to see if some debug is possible
   - One workaround is  to disable global menu for a specific app:
   - Here

<https://askubuntu.com/questions/6784/is-it-possible-to-make-indicator-appmenu-ignore-a-specific-application>
      there is a thread how to do this in unity (lyx is explicitly mentioned).
      This doesn't work on other DE, nonetheless...
      - I achieved to do the same in KDE starting lyx with the command
      KDE_NO_GLOBAL_MENU=1 lyx %F
      - I haven't find out how to do this in MATE

Mate is since version 1.20 at the latest completely ported to gtk3.

That is all. Should I Post this as it is in the bug tracker?
Cheers