On Monday, 14 May 2018 18.18.58 WEST Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> It seems to me that, in some ways, this is tied up with different
> understandings people have of the master-child relationship, and what it
> means to view "only the child".

I had some cases where I would like to have both options, or as standalone or
as the
child of another document.

One use case is when using beamer and beamer-article (I usually use the koma
version).
Each document has the presentation text together with the hand notes and
depending on the purpose I either want to see the presentation slides or the
hand-
notes for the whole course. So the same document can serve different purposes.

In any case that is not a pressing need, just a personal example where this
dichotomy occurs. :-)
--
José Abílio