I'm trying to help a colleague (on Windoze) whom I persuaded to try LyX (resulting in a borked MiKTeX system). So I decided to install both MiKTeX and LyX on a Win 10 virtual machine running on my Linux PC. My /tmp folder is shared with the VM (as drive X: in Windows), and I parked both installers there. The MiKTeX installation ran fine, and I tested it successfully by exporting the LyX intro help document to TeX and running pdflatex against it.

The adventure came when I tried to install LyX. The Windows file explorer showed LyX-230-Installer-005.exe with the correct file size. So did the dir command run in a command shell in the X:\ folder. When I tried to run it (either by double-clicking on the file in file explorer or by running it from the command line), however, the system said it couldn't find the file. (Note that, in the case of the command line, it said this after I used tab completion to fill in the line!)

So I went back to Linux, renamed the file in /tmp to "installer.exe", returned to the VM and the installer executed. (It's currently running the config script, which for some reason is excruciatingly slow on this setup.) I don't see anything in the file name that should offend Microsoft's sensibilities, so I'm at a loss as to why it could not find the file that it had no trouble finding. Thought I'd mention it here just in case someone else trips over it.

Paul