On 11/5/18 2:32 PM, Jeff Defoe wrote:
I realized I was using the Lyx from the Ubuntu repository. When I removed it, added the PPA, and installed LyX from that -- it now seems to work.

I do, however, have an odd problem where graphics often don't display in LyX, giving errors such as "error loading file into memory" or "error converting to loadable format" which I didn't get before upgrading to Ubuntu 18.04.

Best regards,

Jeff

One possibility has to do with Imagemagick. I recently opened an old LyX file with some EPS graphics, and got the "error converting" message on all of them. In Tools > Preferences... > File Handling > Converters, the converter for EPS to PNG is correctly configured to use the Imagemagick convert command. The catch is that recent versions of Imagemagick apparently ship with seriously anal retentive permissions by default. If you run "convert something.eps something.png" in a terminal, you get an error saying something about not being allowed access.

The fix is to open /etc/Imagemagick-6/policy.xml in an editor, using root privileges, and comment out the line "<policy domain="coder" rights="none" pattern="EPS" />". I also commented out the equivalent lines for PS, PDF and XPS just to be safe. After that, LyX was able to display the EPS images.

Paul