On 12/11/18 6:25 PM, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> On 12/11/18 5:56 PM, Andrew Parsloe wrote:
>> The kpsewhich bug which caused slowness on windows when a document
>> used a bibtex database in the initial 2.3.1 installer, has reappeared
>> in 2.3.2 on my windows 7 system. See
>> https://marc.info/?l=lyx-devel&m=153580258026277&w=2. A second windows
>> 2.3.1 installer was produced in which the problem was fixed. It's a
>> sufficient irritant on 2.3.2 for me to revert to using 2.3.1.
> Patches were committed at 7c614cc6 and some following fixups (see bug
> #9158) that were supposed to fix this. I guess this is another example
> where we don't get enough testing on Windows. And another reason for me
> to figure out how to produce 'testing' binaries.
>
> Anyway, can you please try with 2.3.2 again and activate the "files"
> component of the messages pane? I think we are looking for messages
> about new bibfiles. Failing that, or additionally, if you can tell me
> exactly what to do to get the slowness, I can try on my virtual machine.

OK, I went read that old thread and did what I think revealed the
problem before. I ran LyX.exe with the --verbose flag, which had
previously shown repeated runs of kpsewhich. I did not see these on new
paragraphs, or deleted paragraphs, or anything, as Enrico had previously
reported. Moreover, on activating the Messages Pane as described above,
I just keep getting "bibfiles unchanged", which means the cache was
valid, which is what is supposed to happen.

Can you please see if you're getting the same results or different ones?
It could be that the problem is coming from somewhere else now and it
just seems familiar.

Riki