Currently, if I try to compile lib/examples/fa/splash.lyx to PDF I get
the following error with pdflatex:

  ! LaTeX Error: Encoding scheme `LAE' unknown.

Do others get the same or does this compile successfully for you? It
would not be the first time there is something funky with my TeX
installation.

In Settings > Fonts > LaTeX font encoding we currently set it to custom
and choose "OT1". If I change this instead to "Automatic", compilation
to PDF seems to work fine (although I cannot tell if the output is
reasonable). Further, with this change, it appears that exports to
formats dvi, pdf, pdf2, and pdf3 all succeed without error (but I did
not check whether the output is good).

Is there a reason to keep the custom LaTeX font encoding as "OT1" or can
we change it to "Automatic"?

Scott