On 3/10/19 8:47 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
Attached is a user directory. I believe I happened to create it from a
weird situation. Maybe TeX Live was half-way installed or something like
that. In any case, LyX won't compile to PDF with pdflatex when this user
directory is used. That's probably not too strange. But when I
reconfigure and restart, LyX still doesn't want to compile to PDF with
pdflatex. Note that LyX will compile to PDF with lualatex. The
configure.log contains the following:

   INFO: checking for the pdflatex program...
   INFO: +checking for "pdflatex"...  yes

so I'm not sure why the button is greyed out.

To reproduce:

1. tar -xzf userdir123.tar.gz && lyx -userdir ./userdir123
2. Note that you cannot compile a simple "hello" document to PDF with pdflatex.
3. Reconfigure and restart.
4. You still cannot compile a simple "hello" document to PDF with pdflatex.

I can reproduce on 2.3.x and on master. Can anyone else reproduce?

I'm unsure if this is worth looking into since I think the user
directory was the result of a strange situation. But I remember seeing
reports where a reconfigure doesn't solve anything but removing the
directory does, so perhaps this situation is common in some way.

Scott
Confirmed on LyX 2.3.2. The converters for both LaTeX (pdflatex) to PDF (pdflatex) and LaTeX (plain) to DVI are missing in the Tools > Preferences... dialog. Both appear in the preferences file in your directory, but that file looks odd, and in particular lacks the opening comment about being created by LyX.

Comparing the configuration log in your directory to my normal one, and ignoring a few minor differences, yours contains a whole bunch of checks for document classes beginning with "test". For example:
INFO: +checking for document class testbraille [testbraille]... no
Mine has none of those. I'm not sure if this is significant. On the other hand, my  lyxrc.defaults and yours are identical (at least after I reconfigured in your directory).

At any rate, I tried editing the lines relating to the pdflatex and DVI converters out of the preferences file in your directory. After that (and a restart of LyX from that directory), both pdflatex and DVI output worked. So I think the problem is the odd (if not mangled) preferences file.

Paul