On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Andre Poenitz wrote:

> I admit that functors in the current Standard Lirary are clumsy to use.
> If LyX would use them on a regular base I'd suggest to use the 'Lambda
> Library' which makes those things much easier to write and more pleasing to
> the eye, but for the occasional for-loop this would be overkill.
>
> Andre'

Where can I get this ? Freshmeat turns up blank.

I've been playing with STL, exceptions, etc. in a fun side-project recently
and finding it rather frustrating to use function objects. It seems every step
there is another thing making f.o.s not do what I want.

One thing is I can't seem to use member functions taking reference arguments
in a mem_fun, e.g. :

        for_each(thing.begin(), thing.end(), bind_2nd(mem_fun(&Thing::func), thingobj))

doesn't work if ::func looks like : Thing::func(Thingobj & to)

also I can't do dynamic cast from a function object ! The passed objects fail to
dynamic cast even when the object is definitely downcastable ...

bah

Lars, are you planning to use exceptions thoroughly over lyx when compilers catch
up ?

Oh, and JMarc, is the comment about gcc 2.8.1 in support/debugstream still applicable
now ?

thanks
john

--
"You say my kisses are not like his
 But this time I'm not going to tell you why that is