On 6/14/19 1:10 PM, Jason Sun wrote:
> With the help of the reticulate package and knitr package, we are able
> to now embed python and R code in lyx in a reproducible manner. But
> the problem is that we have to compile the file every time we need to
> see the execution result of the python/R code.  In jupyter notebook,
> this is not necessary and we can run the code chunks independently.
>

> So the question is whether its possible to implement a similar
> functionality in future lyx versions? Briefly, the feature could be
> abstracted in the following manner:
>
> 1. Create a procedure to copy the code in the ERT/code chunks, open a
> new subprocess, in which runs the python/R REPL and paste the code
> into a subprocess.
> 2. Run the code.
> 3. Return the result in the a panel/window.
> 4. Closed the subprocess.
>
> Is something like this possible?

I would have thought that preview insets could be used to do this. Use
Insert> Preview to create such an inset, and then put whatever you want
previewed into it.

Note that this is completely general: Anything you can put into LyX can
be put into a preview inset, and it should be updated whenever the
contents is.

Probably another way to do this would be to use external templates.

Riki