On 8/20/19 1:56 PM, Matthias Görlach wrote:
> Hi Riki,
>
> thank you for this analysis/hint - this was perfect for a "work around":
>
> 0) install python v 2.7.16 (well, will have to deal with things which
> require python 3.X)
> 1) deleted the LyX-2.3 directory (folder) from ~/Library/Application
> Support
> 2) mkdir of an empty Lyx-2.3 dir
> 3) cd into it
> 4) run python -tt
> /Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Resources/configure.py
> --with-version-suffix=-2.3
> --binary-dir=/Applications/LyX.app/Contents/MacOS/
> ==> 5) last lines of terminal output:
> +checking for package natbib [natbib]... yes
> +Inspection done.
> +Read the file doc/LaTeXConfig.lyx for more information.
>

> 6) low & behold: starting LyX 2.3 works fine - no error messages
> anymore (and my templates work again)
>
> Of course it will be better to eventually have LyX 2.3 working with
> the more recent python.

Thanks for confirming that this solves the problem. But yes, LyX is
supposed to work with Python 3, and obviously it does not at the moment.

We'll certainly want to test whatever changes we eventually make to
configure.py. I have created a bug report for this here:

https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/11642

If you add yourself (you may have to create an account) in the cc list,
you'll be notified as there are updates. It will be possible to test
this, simply by downloading the new configure.py script and running it
the same way.

Riki