Am Donnerstag, den 12.12.2019, 10:06 +0100 schrieb Kornel Benko:
> For example with export/examples/fr/Presentations/Foils_pdf5_systemF
> (/usr9/local/texlive/2019/texmf-
> dist/tex/latex/l3kernel/l3deprecation.def
> File: l3deprecation.def 2019-04-06 v L3 Deprecated functions
> ))
>
> ! LaTeX3 Error: Backend request inconsistent with engine: using
> 'pdfmode'
> (LaTeX3)        backend.
>
> For immediate help type H <return>.
>
> l.104   { \sys_load_backend:n { } }
>

> You have requested backend 'dvips', but this is not suitable for use
> with the
> active engine. LaTeX3 will use the 'pdfmode' backend instead.

IIRC we talked about this case already. The document requests the dvips
graphics driver, and of course this fails with any other backend.

The document compiles if you set the graphics driver to "Automatic" and
remove the dvips class option. But then, the output is not correct
(rotation of foils does not work).

Jürgen