LyX Developers,

Recently, I've been making increased, and good, use of PDF attachments
(e.g., Appendix A of this technical report:
https://www.osti.gov/biblio/1574726).

I've achieved this with the `navigator` and `embedfile` packages using ERT.
 `embedfile` is my preferred approach because it interacts better with
`tcolorbox`, has a slightly more simple interface, and has not otherwise
caused problems or shown a deficiency.

*Is there a way to achieve this natively in LyX?*  I have not found a way
via menus or Help.  Sorry if I overlooked this.

*If this is not currently possible, I want to solicit your thoughts on how
to incorporate such functionality.*  My immediate thought is by using the
Insert -> File -> Child Document dialog with an additional checkbox to
"Attach file to output".  This assumes that the file will be included in
the document in some other fashion.  It is reasonable for someone to merely
attach the file without incorporating it otherwise.  In that case, this
would not be quite right.  Further, I opt for a checkbox rather than
another dropdown entry to minimize the number of times the file must be
browsed/specified (in case it should be listed and attached).

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on how to proceed to achieve this
functionality natively in LyX conveniently, intuitively, and while avoiding
duplication of data (i.e., file paths).  *Once an approach is identified,
I'll file a ticket in the tracker and will begin coding to that end.*

In the meantime, please contact me with any comments, questions, or
concerns.

Thank you,
Joel