On 2020-03-30 07:47, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Am Sonntag, den 29.03.2020, 16:56 +0200 schrieb Kornel Benko:
Clever (the patch), keeping old behaviour and at the same time
allowing a new shortcut.

Since we have two shortcuts for buffer-write (at least in cua and mac
bind), how about using one of them (F2) for "buffer-write force"?

Jürgen

I guess it would also need an additional menu entry as well in order for people to get to know about shortcut and make easily use of it.

However, a "Save Force" entry or function isn't really something people are familiar with because applications normally only have "Save" even if in many it behaves exactly like a forced save. So people will wonder what this is all about.

Making "Save" do the forced save in LyX would also solve a long standing problem with saving the closed/open state of insets:

https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/2993

The problem is only partially solved by introducing a new menu entry and shortcut because pressing Ctrl|Cmd+S is what many people do if they try to save their changes in a document. And I am sure almost no one checks the status bar whether it worked or not. They will just press the default shortcut, see that the document is not shown as dirty, and think their changes (to insets) are saved.

One could already now add a character, remove it, and then save. But the problem is to remember this non-standard procedure in the special circumstance. A non-standard shortcut helps a bit because people might get used to using F2 instead of the standard shortcut. But I am wondering whether this hassle is worth it.

Of course people could just change the shortcut in LyX. But I am wondering what would be the better default for the common user. What is lost if forced save is the default? And is it worse to make people who don't like forced save as the default to change the shortcut rather than make people who like forced save as the default to change it? Saving the state of insets seems to me like a common thing LyX users might like to do. What is the downside for the common user?

Daniel