On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:21:26PM +0200, Daniel wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 05:33:07AM +0200, Daniel wrote:
> >>I don't have Linux, so it might be that some WMs react very differently from
> >>macOS. So, your WM has a dedicated fullscreen function to send any
> >>application into fullscreen. However, it surprises me that your WM knows
> >>what's best to hide when you go into fullscreen.
> >
> >Of course it does not know. It just kill unnecesary WM visuals (like borders
> >and titles). It's just poor man's version of lyx fullscreen (your "focus")
> >and fails in similar way to what you see in Mac's WM fullscreen.
>
> I see. On Mac's WM it's totally different in that applications normally stay
> just the way as they are in windowed mode just the window fills the whole
> screen (or half of the screen) without showing the menu bar, title bar and
> dock. I know of no other application that behaves differently in fullscreen
> mode. (There are a couple of apps that have modes in addition to the usual
> fullscreen mode such as presentation mode for Powerpoint or Read Mode in
> Adobe Reader.)

So it looks like mac's way just in the middle between maximize/fullscreen as
people understand it in win/linux.

> >>So, my idea was to distinguish these two modes and be able
> >>to use them independently. One configurable "focus mode" and one fullscreen
> >>mode. The latter just sends the window into fullscreen and is what happens
> >>when one uses the WM's dedicated fullscreen functionality.
> >
> >To me, the proper way how to deal with this is to fix our code, that we
> >correctly catch the signal from (not only Mac) WM to become fullscreen
> >and do exactly what we do in the "focus" mode -- and not having two
> >different modes. I do not know whether Qt gives us such signal to catch
> >though.
> >
> >If you strive for a second mode it should be fairly easy to get that as
> >combination of command-sequence & ui-toggle keys and bind to your favourite
> >key.
>
> I think LyX is already catching that signal. For example, because when I use
> the Mac WM's fullscreen button, LyX puts a checkmark on the Fullscreen menu.
>
> However, since on Mac the expectation is that one can just work as usual
> with apps in fullscreen/spitscreen, I'd suggest that, if no separation
> between fullscreen and "focus" mode is implemented, to deactivate the hiding
> of Ui elements in fullscreen mode by default.

I have no opinion about defaults in mac, maybe Stephan has. Maybe you both
agree that proper mac way is to have standard mac fullscreen an focus mode
and customize mac menu to that...

Pavel