On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 09:48:42PM +0100, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> There are multiple issues here. What is needed to generate HTML and DocBook
> is a simple SAX writer, not a parser. I've done plenty of research about
> it, there's no XML library that does that. Most of them are using a DOM,
> which is a total waste of memory for such an application: it stores a
> complete XML tree in memory before serialising it. With SAX, you just need
> a string backend, which is much more lightweight (by several factors).

After little bit more thinking, is using DOM actually that big issue?
I mean how much it takes - for document of length n its O(n) in space?

Sure, it might be cut to constant, but practically speaking when you have
100 pages document what is the real time/memory consumption. Timewise
you spent 1s in XML compared to next 30s in conversion figures to pdf or
whatever format? Spacewise probably one more time than what we
already allocated for document itself.

If using more heavy-weight caliber xml lib is not pain from API point
of view (and I do not know, you are the expert here) then we might
actually consider it, given the difficulties in SAX space?

Pavel