Dear all

I have a patch ready that moves the simple search dialog to the bottom
dock widget (see attached screenshot).

This solves some long standing UI issues:

* https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/2625
* https://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/8054

Most importantly, search is more convenient when using the keyboard
(Ctrl-F toggles the search pane on and off, F3/Ctrl-F3 or Cmd-G/Shift-
Cmd-G, Return/Shift-Return and the respective accelerators search
backwards and forward, backwards search/replace does not need a
checkbox to be enabled), and there is no dialog getting in the way of
search results.

To me, the UX seems significantly improved.

The space taken is absolutely acceptable (note that the screenshot
shows a minimized main window), but if wanted, I can also add a button
that hides the replace and options widgets.

Is this something we want in LyX 2.4?

Jürgen

I like it. +1 for 2.4

        Kornel

Thanks for working on this, Jürgen. I'd also like to have this in LyX 2.4.

Current search dialog too frequently overlaps found text (only moving it outside LyX window helps). The only minor issue for me is the button captions that differ only by icons. Is it possible to use something like "Find Previous" "Find Next" (or even just "Previous" "Next")?

Yuriy