On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 10:27 PM Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:

> I've been using the new find bar in master and it's great! Thank you
> Jürgen for the nice feature.
>
> Is there any interest in enabling the "wrap" checkbox for find as default?
> I have no idea what most users prefer. I could make a poll on the lyx-users
> list if there is interest in considering it.

One question on polls and because the ones hosted via email seem
potentially inconclusive and subject to distracting discussion: is there
merit in hosting the poll using a polling service (Google Forms, Quick
Survey [https://github.com/simonv3/quick-survey/] at lyx.org, etc.)?  In
this way, I wonder if discussion could be separated from results.

> I'm not sure how relevant the following comparison is given that LyX is
> different, but in case it is helpful for discussion:
>
> LibreOffice Writer, Gedit, Chromium, and Firefox automatically wrap. I'm
> not sure any of them even has an option to not wrap or to prompt. The only
> application I'm aware of that has wrap as an option is Vim (see config
> "wrapscan"), although the default is to wrap.

As a vim user, this capability would feel familiar, but I have no strong
preference one way or the other.  However, vim keybindings in LyX would be
a (substantially) different matter.

Thanks,
Joel