On 2022-01-27 15:52, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

Le 27/01/2022 à 14:59, Daniel a écrit :
I guess in Scott's after.png the selection looks a bit confusing (as in unexpected because other applications don't highlight that way). Isn't there another way to select the "Chapter" label?

Do you have examples of applications that show labels on top of layouts?

What we do now is that there is a 'tight' selection (inside the paragraph) and when the selection is over several paragraphs, the space between the paragraphs is painter too.

What would you expect exactly? The previous behavior was ugly. Now one sees clearly when the selection is over two paragraphs. I could also decide to _never_ fill the gaps between paragraphs, but it will not be nice IMO.

Selection inside the paragraph was not very pleasant either. See also how the selection was over the document bottom margin.

JMarc

Indeed many applications seem to just *never* fill the gaps. I guess it indicates the selection where the cursor can be and hence where editing can happen. So that would be one option.

But at least LibreOffice fills the gaps. They also have a border around selections. I don't know whether these two are somehow related. Sure, keep the "LibreOffice style" selections. I haven't used it much but apparently it survived the scrutiny of LibreOffice users and developers. So that is good.

Daniel