In whatever part of LyX's code that marks a buffer as dirty, should we
assert that the document is not read-only?

If I open the User Guide from the Help menu, editing is disabled. But if I run:

  command-sequence inset-forall Caption char-delete-forward; statistics; undo

The buffer is marked as dirty. I'm not sure if something actually
changed, but I wonder if a general way to catch these types of issues is
to add an assertion. But perhaps there are some cases where it is hard
to know if the buffer is dirty (maybe with Undo?) so we mark it as dirty
just in case?

Scott