Il giorno sab 4 mar 2023 alle ore 14:20 Jürgen Spitzmüller <
jspi...@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> As I wrote, LaTeX does not allow this for security reasons. You can
> only write file within the directory within which LaTeX is performed.
> And this is the tmp directory.

Ok, now I see it and I understand this can't be avoided if the working
(latex) directory for Lyx is the tmp dir.

> If you use
>
> \usepackage{shellesc}
> \ShellEscape{ln -s <workingdir>/picts picts}
>
> this is done automatically every time the document is compiled in a new
> tmp dir for the first time. What is annoying about this?

I didn't understand, so I thought that for <workingdir> it was meant to be
the directory
/tmp/lyx_tmpdir.dJCMQsEYwFBx/lyx_tmpbuf0
which changes every time you start Lyx.
My fault.

You are right: this is not annoying.
Moreover, it even works, which is good news.

Nevertheless, it looks like a bit weird, as workaround: it results in a
symlink pointing to himself which gives a sort of infinite recursion into
itself!

What I don't like of this hack, apart from this "recursion", is that it
creates a symlink in the tmp dir of the file which prevent the lyx root
temp dir in /tmp to be removed when lyx is closed.
Moreover, it doesn't save pictures permanently, as it should be in the
intended use of external, so that every time you open again the file
pictures have to be recompiled from source the first time you compile.

Well, in any case even if not a solution as I would have intended, I have a
couple of way in which I can reduce the problem to something manageable.

> I hope it is clearer now.
> --
> Jürgen

Yes, it is.