On 9/06/2023 8:24 pm, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
I often find myself of wanting to define a command in a module's preamble, and
I want to define a corresponding LyX math macro to *display* it nicely in the
LyX display; but I don't want the \global\long\def\mymacro that comes along
with it. Is there a way to tell LyX that I already defined the command and I
don't want the macro to define it?

Perhaps a different use case is that I might want to display a built-in LaTeX
definition (or one in a package) differently, but I don't want to redefine it.

I attach a simple example.

Thanks,
Scott

I may be missing the point, but to display macros from other packages or defined in the preamble, I work with instant preview on, then insert a preview inset around an ERT inset and type the macro name. I've attached the shortcut Ctrl+P to preview-insert which means that holding down Ctrl and tapping P followed by L (which are diagonally neighbouring keys on qwerty keyboards) you can then start typing the macro name immediately. After moving the cursor outside both insets, after a pause for thought the macro displays as in the pdf.

Andrew