On 2023-06-11 18:57, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 6/10/23 13:06, Daniel wrote:
On 2023-06-07 16:16, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
Le 01/06/2023 à 17:42, Scott Kostyshak a écrit :
I come across the example in the attachment often in various forms. It would be nice if I could insert a space at the beginning of an inset.

Personally, I add the space before the branch. But I can see that it is mildly annoying.

I am probably missing something here but I don't see how that is possible at the end of the sentence as in Scott's examples. Wouldn't you end up with a superfluous space before the period when deactivating the branch? Or what kind of spaces are you using?

My solution is to add a protected space at the start of the inset. With text insets, you can modify them to accept 'free spacing', if you wish.

Riki

I was just wondering how the space "before the branch" is working.

As to the possibilities you mention: wouldn't it nice if LyX allowed to insert a space at the beginning in those insets where it makes a difference without going all the way to allow free spacing?

I mean, I can understand why inserting spaces at the beginning of some insets does not make sense, e.g. footnotes, because leading spaces are just swallowed there. But "free spacing" in branches seems to give the wrong impression that multiple spaces are honored, right?

By the way, why is there an indentation at the beginning of the branch inset? Doesn't that give the wrong impression of some spacing? Shouldn't the first paragraph in a branch inset behave like the first paragraph in a section, i.e. not be indented, and then only the next paragraph be indented?

Daniel