I personally like to see a description in the first line of a Git commit
message. e.g., instead of "Fix #9999", I'd prefer to see "Fix crash when
exporting long docs". If the ticket number can be appended, and the line
is still under 52 characters, great. If not, I think it's fine to put
the ticket number in the body.

In case the above practice is not agreed on, can we at least always put
a description in the *body* of the commit message? I see some commit
messages that only mention the ticket number and nothing else.

For non-code commits, I think it's fine to use some very short
description, such as "document recent commit", etc. Similarly, I'm fine
with a simple "Amend <hash>" as the full commit message.

I'd be curious about the thoughts of others. I'm fine if all of the
above suggested practices are rejected. I'm thankful for any bug fix,
even if it only mentions the ticket number :).

Scott