On 2023-08-27 00:45, Christopher Menzel wrote:
LyX folk:

There is a significant difference in the "padding" around the icons in 2.4.0-beta3 compared to 2.3.7. The difference is particularly stark when comparing 2.3.7 under MacOS <https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8ygwtjmy07rd371bg5dpf/Screen-Shot-2023-08-26-at-5.25.51-PM.png?rlkey=eklvvbknbvgz4poa28af2r44d&dl=0> and 2.4.0-beta3 under Linux <https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/p9sjibjq3o2bwaan9g76o/Screen-Shot-2023-08-26-at-5.28.05-PM.png?rlkey=ly2set6q7om16t8f3pcq7iyh8&dl=0> (although there is still a pronounced difference between the MacOS versions); click the preceding links for screenshots — in both cases the icon size is set to "Normal". To my eye, there is way too much padding in the beta, and the 2.3.7 MacOS version gets it about right and I can't help but think that most folks would agree, at least with regard to the excessiveness of the padding in the beta. Is this something that might be addressed before the public release?

Thanks.

Chris Menzel

Hi Chris,

Didn't manage to reproduce your case. Did you use your screen in horizontal mode? (Reminds me that these toolbars seem way to long and are non-modular.)

But as far as I can see, it is actually not a padding, but there are buttons that have an arrow on the side that makes additional features accessible. This arrow takes some space which makes the toolbar look less nice in horizontal mode, I agree. But I don't think much can or will be done about it.

There are a couple of ways to change the style of these buttons on the user's side in order to make the toolbar less wide again. I was hoping that I can refer you to a documentation but I didn't manage to find it. If you are interested, I can look into it.

Best,
Daniel