Hey,
So it was annoying me that I every time I added a new module or layout file, I
have to reconfigure lyx, but this is quite slow. On my (admittedly slow) system
it takes about 40 seconds. I noticed the configure.py script itself has some
command line options to make it faster, so when I run
/usr/share/lyx/configure.py --without-kpsewhich --without-latex-config​  it's
twice as fast, but still around 20 seconds.

I've now added a couple of options, so if you have simply changed some
module/layouts/citengines/xtemplates  you can run:
   /usr/share/lyx/configure.py --without-kpsewhich --without-latex-config
--without-programs --log-file=/dev/null`
This now takes 125 miliseconds!

Basically my --without-programs​ option stop it from generating the
lyxrc.defaults​ file (which involves the scripts checking for the presence of a
whopping 246 programs!).
The --log-file​ changes the log file (the default is configure.log​), which is
useful if you want to preserve the log from a previous run of configure.py
(such as one that checked for everything).

I've also mad it so that if --without-latex-config​ is passed, the current
packages.lst​ file is NOT modified (before it was blanking it for some reason).

Thus assuming you've previously run the full configure (i.e. without options,
or through the GUI), the command line above will my new options will only
modify the lyxmodules.lst​, textclass.lst​, lyxciteengines.lst​, and
xtemplates.lst files.

It would be nice to be able to select these options from the GUI when you click
the reconfigure button, so if someone familiar with the GUI code can do that,
it would be very helpfull!
— Isaac Oscar Gariano​