On 10/17/23 14:50, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 08:29:12PM +0200, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

On Tue, Oct 17, 2023 at 01:10:23PM -0400, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:

On 10/16/23 21:22, Isaac Oscar Gariano wrote:
Currently \def is used for all math macros that have no option arguments. This has caused me hard to debug errors because it silently clobbers pre-existing LaTeX commands. On the other hand, \newcommandx is used if there are optional arguments, and this gives a helpful error message if the command is already defined. (if you really do want to override the command, you can just put \let\mycommand=\undefined in your LaTeX preamble, although with unicode-math I often have to put this in an \AtBeginDocument).

This very simple patch just makes LyX always output \newcommandx instead of \def for math macros. Unfortunately, this means if you want to have any math macros you'll always need the xargs package (but it's a small package release all they way back in 2008 and is included in TeXlive), hopefully this won't annoy users too much.

Since we already depend upon xargs, this won't be a problem.

However, I think this might count as a format change, because it changes the exported LaTeX. If so, then it would have to wait for 2.5.0. But I'm not sure about this, and perhaps the people who actually know about this will think it's safe. I'd like to hear.

Independently from that, this is a change that needs a lot of testing and it is risky to perform near a release.

Yes, I decided not to mention that, since the format change decides it anyway.

It's unfortunate, but perhaps we can get 2.5.0 out sooner...

Riki