On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 05:25:53PM +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 07:58:00PM +0200, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 03:41:59PM +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 15, 2023 at 09:07:24PM +0200, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
>>Pavel, in commit eef0c8e8 you say:
>>
>>>xHTML export: change filenames of exported images.
>>>
>>>This patch aims at:
>>>1. replacing absolute paths by their hashes (do not leak directory
structures)
>>>2. not using counters anymore so that changing figures order in the document
>>>   does not lead to large number of obsolete images in export directory.
>>>
>>>Other changes than in xHTML export of images are unintended.
>>
>>I think that there are unintented changes because now the mangled names of
>>graphics in the temporary dir do not contain the mangled path and thus it is
>>difficult/impossible to tell from where they are coming.
>
>I'll try to fix that in the next days, as this should not appear for latex
export.
>But you are OK with having it obfuscated in temp directory when xHTML output
is used, right?

Sure.

This patch should salvage the situation (I separated the tables for xhtml() and
latex() routes).

Thank you, it works for me.

There is one point I'm not sure about - is it really true that windows still
set default limit for max path length to ~260 chars?

Yes, the APIs are still limited to that length:

$ grep MAX_PATH /usr/include/w32api/minwindef.h
#define MAX_PATH 260

even if the kernel can deal with 32K paths when they are specially prefixed. Starting with Windows 10 longer paths can be used but that is an opt-in feature. See:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation

If so it might be good use shorter hash for windows. I previously used sha-256
resulting in +65 chars, but we could swicth to sha-1 (41 chars) or turn it off
altogether for windows. Any opinion about that?

I suggest to simply using a counter also in the html export case and forget about encrypted paths. I mean, simply use a progressive number and name of file.

--
Enrico