In the attached file, if I highlight the reference from within the math
inset, and the do control-c to copy, I get the following in the
terminal:

  mathed/InsetMathRef.cpp (291): Unassigned buffer_ in InsetMathRef::write!
  mathed/InsetMathRef.cpp (292): LaTeX output may be wrong!

Alternatively, after highlighting I can reproduce by typing \textbf<space>.

Should I open a trac ticket for this? I still don't understand the
underlying issue. If I remember correctly, in some cases there's nothing
we can do about it (I guess that's why we don't assert) so I wanted to
check in here first.

Scott