Am Montag, dem 04.12.2023 um 12:14 +0100 schrieb Jürgen Spitzmüller:
> I am not sure which general solution would be best. Using notquote
> generally seems to limit the functionality too strongly.

On the other hand, the package authors themselves encourage to disable
all character activation:

"The package also enables typesetting with hanging punctuation, by
making punctuation characters active. This facility is best suppressed
(it can interfere with other packages) — there are package options for
suppressing each individual punctuation character. ‘Real’ attempts at
hanging punction should nowadays use the microtype package, which takes
advantage of the support offered in recent versions of pdfTeX."
(https://www.ctan.org/pkg/hanging)

Also, we don't employ the hangpunct environment (which makes use of
this) anyway.

So I suggest we add to the module definition:

% Disable all character activation, as this interferes
% with other packages and some languages
\PassOptionsToPackage{hanging}{%
    notcomma,
    notperiod,
    notquote,