Lars> it is ok to have different streams for latex,ascii,sgml, but we
Lars> should also see if we can get rid of the latex,ascii,sgml output
Lars> methods in the insets. and have the actuall output methods
Lars> external to the insets. This makes it a lot easier to add new
Lars> output formats.

I do not see how we could do that while still using virtual methods.
This would also mean that these output methods should have access to
the private members of the insets (a bad idea, IMO). Of course, we
could put all the output methods in the same file (like mathed used to
do), but I guess this is not what you have in mind.