On Mon, May 20, 2024 at 03:11:41PM GMT, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Mon, 20 May 2024 14:27:26 +0200
> schrieb "Jürgen Spitzmüller" <jspi...@gmail.com>:
>
> > Am Montag, dem 20.05.2024 um 11:40 +0200 schrieb Kornel Benko:
> > > Some russian documents fail
> >
> > They work for me if I set appropriate fonts. What error do you get?
>
> After rerunning the Russian tests, they passed here too. Interestingly the
> needed time
> was way smaller (instead of about 1000s now they needed each 30-60s).

The problem with those tests is that, from the little that I understand,
LuaTeX does not generate the fonts needed. The reason they pass on your
second try is that other engines do generate the fonts.

In lyx-tester I build the fonts manually before running the tests. It is
hackish, but you can see it here:

https://gitlab.com/scottkosty/lyx-tester/-/blob/master/lyx-tester?ref_type=heads#L561

Probably a better hack would be to run the other tests first. e.g., we
could add some dependencies like "pdf5 and dvi3 test for Russian
documents must be run after the pdf2 tests", but I don't know if that's
possible with the ctests.

I asked a question for alternative workarounds:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/649259/can-i-ask-luatex-to-run-mktextfm

By the way, this issue had stumped me for probably about a year before I
figured it out, because it seemed random and not reproducible.

Scott