On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 12:12:07PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Jean-Marc> Adrien sent this message directly to me, but I guess it
> Jean-Marc> will interest Lars too.
>
> And I even answer to it.
>

> >>  Does this mean that french should only use latin9? What about
> >> systems which do not support it? Does it work well with ispell
> >> (does the french dictionary support latin9)?
>
> Adrien> If you don't care about the \oe{} and the euro symbol, you
> Adrien> can use latin1 as well, it is kept as the french default
> Adrien> encodings in the lib/languages file. It only binds the
> Adrien> AltGr-² key with the \oe{} instead of the logical not
> Adrien> symbol, and the currency (either AltGr-e or AltGr-$
> Adrien> depending on your X keyboard) with the euro.
>
> That's fine.
>
> Adrien> Systems which do not support latin9 do not care. Neither
> Adrien> does ispell, who will only gag when he finds an \oe{},
> Adrien> which he would do with latin1 anyway.
>
> Adrien> The worst thing which can happen to you with those files is
> Adrien> to select the encoding latin9 in the Format->Document
> Adrien> window, without having a latin9.def file for inputenc,
> Adrien> because LaTeX will give you an error.
>
> OK.
>
> Adrien> On the other hand, I have one big problem : with the latest
> Adrien> CVS version, presumably since the latest encoding patch, my
> Adrien> dead keys are broken, and the keymap files do not help any
> Adrien> more. Maybe I have not understood the way to use it, but I
> Adrien> can't display, for example, an e circunflex. The .kmap
> Adrien> files in my patch do not work either, whereas they did with
> Adrien> 1.1.6.
>
> Have you tried latest cvs?

Yes, I have just tried the latest cvs, and the dead keys are broken,
with or without a keymap file selected.

When I type circunflex, it displays :
"Raw keysym: fe52  byte 3: fe00" on the command line.

When I type an umlaut, it displays :
"Raw keysym: fe57  byte 3: fe00"

Then I type my vocal letter, such as "e", and I have either a plain "e"
or an " e" (space followed by an "e") on the screen.

Moreover, when I select a keymap file, no matter which one, then it displays
"ée" when I type "é", "àa" when I type "à" and so on...

Moreover, playing around with the Edit->Preferences window, it has crashed
a few times when I was saving the new preferences. I have not understood
the exact conditions which made it crash, I'll be more precise on that topic
when I'll have seen a reproducible behaviour.

Adrien