On Wed, 23 May 2001, Juergen Vigna wrote:

> On 23-May-2001 Steven Homolya wrote:
> > Correction to my earlier message (sent ~10min ago): Lyx was compiled from
> > source using gcc version incl. in RH 7.0, and was not installed from an rpm
> > package. (I was thinking of xforms...)
>
> If it was a unpatched 7.0 system you should upgrade at least the gcc-+ packeges,
> but probably it would overal better to upgrade to RH 7.1 if possible as in 7.1
> are solved a lot of problems 7.0 had!
>
>     Jürgen

This reminds me, before any pre-releases/releases we need to disable
optimisation on gcc 2.96. Juergen's commenting out in tabular.C has masked
the optimiser bug currently, but we never know where other bugs might lie.

gcc 2.96-82 and above seem OK, but RH provided no easy way of determining
this version. So we must turn off -O.

Also Juergen, can those #if 0 bits be actually deleted from tabular.C now ?
Having these everywhere makes the code hard to read.

Also, I'm adding some comments to tabular.h currently but I'm not sure of a few
things. I'll send a patch soonish.

thanks
john

--
"Mad Mathesis alone was unconfined
 Too mad for mere material chains to bind, -