On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 09:49:29PM -0300, Garst R. Reese wrote:
> Well guys, it is real pretty, but a lot slower than the pre-css pages.
> I personally like web pages that display instantly, provide basic info
> and links.
> Garst

Thanks Garst. This shows that warnings should be considered errors even
in Web design. I really didn't have the time to weed all the warnings
from Michael's CSS. Well, thanks to your observation I had to sit down
and fix them. Please check again:

    http://www.cs.wm.edu/~zvezdan/LyX/www-user/

Should be fine now. Below is the explanation for Michael.

This is the most important warning that validator gave since it was
causing the black screen at the beginning:

    Line : 10 Level : 2 Redefinition of background-color : body

I had experience with such stuff before. Michael, you have to define
colour and background together. If you don't want to change background
define it as transparent. Also if you want to define both a background
colour and image then use those keywords or put them on the same line
as in:

body
{
  color: rgb(238,238,238);
  background: url("http://www.lyx.org/images/LyXBannerjugbg2.gif";)
              rgb(42,123,74);
}

I did all the changes.  Please, download my lyx.css again.
The only remaining warning

    Line : 32 Level : 1 Same colors for background-color and color : a img

is OK. It's caused by the trick to get borderless images.

Notice that I changed the background colour for `a img' element. I
picked the colour of LyX background embossed image using GIMP's colour
picker.  One really can't see the borders now.

Finally, please add one   in the index.html on your site at
&middot;&nbsp;<a href....>Developers'...
It currently wraps between middot and "Developers'" because of missing
&nbsp;.  That's the only line that has to have non-breaking spaces since
it's the longest.

Cheers,

    Zvezdan

--