<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > But I cannot read the User's Guide (which is pretty
> > crucial for someone with my background).  When I
> > try to open it, Lyx displays the message "Loading
> > font into X server" in its gray message window at
> > the bottom, and it stays like this indefinitely (20 minutes).

This is a problem with gs.  Have you installed a ghostscript with
x11/x11alpha device support built-in?
If you don't need a inline graphics preview, you can just disable
it, though.  (Please, someone, follow up on this.)

Besides, the LyX binary at Hobbes is quite old (1.0.4, I guess).
Newer binaries for OS/2 may be found at
ftp://24.2.168.186/pub/os2/unix/xfree86/ports/LyX/

Sorry I don't have time to investigate your problem further.

Regards,
        SMiyata