Andre Poenitz wrote:

> > BTW, do you intend to make <del> do exactly what C-x does except for
> > changing the clipboard? Many applications handle these slightly
> > differently. MS Word 97, for instance, just clears the cells upon <del>
> > but sometimes removes them upon C-x (with the above rules).
>
> I think don't like that. There should be one or two easy-to-follow rules,
> and there should not be more than twenty lines of dedicated code for such a
> feature.

I agree.

> I think I will implement 'pasting over' as well as 'copy/swap'
> rows/columns and then wait until people complain.

I don't think you can count on that. People will manage with what they
get (hell, they managed for many versions without any row/col
operations), but that doesn't mean they're appy with it. There should be
an intuitive GUI way to do this. We two options, one somewhat
inconsistent and one somewhat complex but both within reason. Let's pick
one.

BTW, in the "somewhat complex" option: in regard to distinguishing cell
selection from row selection when using the mouse, maybe it would
suffice to add "Cut rows" and "Delete rows" options to the rightclick
menu when the selection is full-width. For keyboard, I think my last
proposal (<right> off the edge -> whole row selected) is very consistent
with the spirit of insets even though it's cheating.

  Regards,
    Eran