* Angus Leeming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010717 18:57]:
> On Tuesday 17 July 2001 16:21, Juergen Vigna wrote:
> > On 17-Jul-2001 Angus Leeming wrote:
> >
> > > Jürgen, have a medal for clear and simple answers!
> >
> > #:O)
> >
> > > The question now becomes
> > >       how do I check whether natbib exists
> > > I'm looking for something like
> > >       bool packageExists("natbib");
> >
> > Nope you don't have to check for the existance of the package on the system!
>
> Hmmmm! Well, that's not what I understood of Lars' desires here. I'm pretty
> sure that he wanted LyX to change it's behaviour dependent on whether or not
> natbib was present.

That's a bad behaviour, consider those (few) who install a limited
environment on a laptop to do their writing and produce the files on
their cray super-computer at home. They need to be able to use natbib
features without installing natbib on that very computer.

True, they will be unable to produce the output, but they might not care
for the output on that handspring (it shrank while I spoke).

> The citation dialog will offer users a choice of citation commands:
>       Vigna and Leeming (2001)
>       (Vigna and Leeming 2001)
>       Vigna and Leeming 2001
>       Vigna and Leeming, 2001
>       Vigna and Leeming
>       2001
>       (2001)
>
> It only makes sense to do this if natbib exists. If not, the choice is no
> choice at all:
>       (Vigna and Leeming 2001)

The worst I'm willing to accept is a dialog saying, "hey fella, you
don't have natbib installed, you'll need that to produce the output".
Obviously this needs a checkbox to mark it to never appear anymore.

> Similarly, it makes sense to output latex that will compile on this system,
> so if the inset contains
>       \citep[]{vigna_leeming:2001}
> because you sent me the document but my system does not have natbib, then I
> should output
>       \cite[]{vigna_leeming:2001}
>
> Again, this requires knowledge of natbib's existence.

This is a possibility, if I dont have natbib, use something else,
ofcourse that linux wristwatch might not even have any latex on it (I
think I'm in the "Alice in Wonderland" world :-)

> Lars, since I'm blaming you for my confusion here (and maybe Jean-Marc too
> --- let's spread the muck-spreading around!) would you care to add your two
> agora (centimes) here please.

He'll be hard pressed to fine an agora (not to say two), the best he
could muster this days is five agorot, though you cant buy a gum with it
this days.

--
Baruch Even
http://baruch.ev-en.org/