Garst> Stdlayouts.inc restricts captions to center. Is there a reason
Garst> for this. It looks pretty ugly with long winded captions. It
Garst> seems to work if I change stdlayouts.inc to allow block
Garst> captions. Garst

In fact, captions alignment is a bit special: centered when the
caption is short, and justified otherwise. LyX does not have support
for that, so it chooses one of the two options. I'm sure people would
complain too if the setting was 'justified' (looks ugly with short
captions).