andre added,

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 10:34:26AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Do we apply directly or is my cvs building it in as I speak?

> I don't know. I guess you have to apply it manually. It's a patch to
> src/BufferView_pimpl.C and I can't commit anything there.

ok.  COuld someone commit this?

> > Keystrokes.  It's all about keystrokes.  M-g (or M-m g) as a prefix for
> > a greek character in the middle of a sentence is trivial enough for
> > finger-memory, and doesn't interrupt the flow of thought. By the time
> > you're getting to a third keystroke, it's getting in the way, and you
> > stop mid sentence.

> The real issue is that we need some enhancement for key bindings. Currently
> we cannot bind everything to any key. I mean things like:
>
> Bind "M-g #1" to "math-mode; math-greek #1; cursor-right"
>
> It's simply not possible right now but would help a lot in situations like
> yours.

I've been mulling about this for a while, mixing thoughts on scripting,
what  I did before for mail-merge, and the multi-command work someone
did a few months ago.

Essentially, there would be some kind of meta-command, which rather
than issuing commands for immediate execution, instead pushes them
onto a stack.  This wouldn't require full recursion in all commands. Or
perhaps the current dispatch method could simply load the stack,
typically with one command.

At that point, something like Garst & I are pleading for would be
implemented with a bind to either an internal lyx command which (in
this case) does

  math mode
  set greek
  wait for a character
  enter character
  leave the inset

Aside from the "wait for character", I'm don't think anything here goes
beyond the multi-command sequence that existed before (is it still in
the code?)

It's been a few years, but I did a bunch of macro scripting for word on
the mac sometime back. It also lets you do nifty things like go up to
the prior line of math, copy, and paste here from a single command.  Or
insert a 3x3 array (or wait for size) inside of brackets.

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                  /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail