Andre Poenitz wrote:

> What a mess.
>
> But it is "logical" bold, isn't it? So one could hack it in by providing
> another 'char' argument for whichFont()... Not nice, though.

Math versions are supposed be orthogonal.

(fontmath.ltx)  |       normal          bold
operators       |       cmr             cmbx
letters         |       cmmi            cmmib
symbols         |       cmsy            cmbsy

> Can't these symbols get collected in a single font? (I still don't know
> anything about fonts, so this question might be silly.)

t1util contains small filters called t1asm and t1disasm.
t1disasm decrypt Type1 fonts into human readable(?) text files.
t1asm encrypt them back.

Regards,
        SMiyata