Happy New Year, Christos. Hope you had a pleasant break.

I have a (rather mundane) question for you. How do I calculate the variance
of a field of discrete particles such as the stretched and folded line of
tracer I'm interested in?

I can see how, for the non-diffusive tracer and in the continuous sense, the
variance remains constant for all time as the tracer is simply stretched but
it's density remains unchanged. I am at a loss about how to calculate this
for the discrete particles I've been tracking.

Moreover, if the particles have some diffusitity, then the variance of the
field will chnge with time. Again, I don't see how the calculation for a real
data set is to be performed.

I ask you because this is clearly a problem you've addressed in the past.
Hope you can shed some illumination for me!

Best regards,
Angus