On 17 Jan 2002, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> John> str = N_("Allow
> John> bitmap fonts to be resized. If you are using a bitmap font,
> John> selecting this option may make some fonts look blocky in LyX.
> John> Deselecting this option makes LyX use the nearest bitmap font
> John> size available, instead of scaling."); break;
>
> This description is wrong IMO. it should rather be 'allow scalable
> fonts and resized bitmap fonts', but of course this is too long. I
> really think the earlier 'use scalable fonts' was technically exact,
> since LyX cannot make a difference between a real scalable font and a
> bitmap font that will be resized (it has zeros instead of sizes). So
> if you really want to change these things, _please_ do it correctly
> and make sure you understand what you do...

Ahh, that's what I was afraid of.

If we know what font we are displaying, -*-times- for example, then
won't we be able to ask the server for all the fonts that match and
for a given font size check a list and if none matches exactly and
there is no scalable font in the list _then_ the checkbox value
(\use_scalable_fonts ?) decides whether we scale a bitmapped font or
not?

Allan. (ARRae)