On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Dekel Tsur wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:44:57PM +1000, Allan Rae wrote:
> >
> > Insert two minipages next to each other. Do not press enter between
> > the two or you will start a new paragraph and the two minipages will
> > appear one under the other.
> >
> > Adjust the minipage width settings by right-mouse-button clicking on
> > the [minipage] inset label.
> >
> > If you want to make the minipages look spaced evenly you might try
> > Insert->Special_character->HFill between the two minipages (and
> > possibly on both sides.
> >
> > The key trick though is to ensure they are in the same paragraph.
>
> Allan is talking about the minipage support of lyx 1.2.0, which is much
> better than the 1.1.6 support.
> Since you probably use 1.1.6, I suggest you just insert the
> \begin{minipage}..\end{minipage} in latex mode.

For minipages in 1.1.6 do this:

Enter your paragraphs of text and figures for both minipages but don't
worry about minipages yet.
Select all the stuff to go in the first minipage.
Layout->Paragraph->Extra
        Set Minipage
        Set Start new Minipage
        Set width = 45%
        OK
Select all the stuff for the second minipage
Layout->Paragraph->Extra
        Set Minipage
        Set Start new Minipage
        Set HFill between minipages
        Set width = 45%
        OK

Just make sure the minipages are consecutive in 1.1.6 -- they will be
separate paragraphs in the LyX window and may even be drawn with an
unbroken pink line beside them -- minipages have pink left margin
lines in LyX -- consecutive minipages look like one big minipage until
you look at the Layout->Paragraphs->Extra options.

To make it easier to work out where one minipage ends and other starts
I recommend Insert->Note at the begining i\of the second minipage so
it's obvious.

The instructions above should also work for most versions of LyX that
handle minipages (1.0.x onwards?)

Extending a minipage in 1.1.6 is awkward and the easiest way to do it
is to just start typing what you want added to the minipage after it
-- you won't see the pink margin line next to it -- and then select
all of the paragraphs in the existing minipage and the new stuff you
want and then Layout->Paragraph->Extra and fiddle the minipage
settings again.

Allan. (ARRae)