On Thursday 17 January 2002 5:38 pm, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> John> On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 06:30:57PM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
> John> wrote:
> >> Angus, these two form do not try to connect themselves to their
> >> slot.
>
> John> what do you mean ? they connect in the controller's constructor
> John> :
>
> Yes, I've seen that afterwards. So it seems that, while they use
> (somewhere) ControlConnectBI, they should be able to display even when
> there is no buffer, but they nevertheless have a kind of BD-less
> behaviour. Do what you can with that, I'm lost :(
>
> JMarc

As Allan says, the controllers are a great long vine of derived classes. He
says things would be better if they were restructured as a flat tree with
member variables performing all these tasks.

Anyway,  to the problem in hand.

These dialogs derive from ControlConnectBI because they are Buffer
Independent and there Connections are thus defined appropriately.

So this part is correct.

As John says, the connections are made in the c-tors.

So this part is correct.

The place where we tell the LyX kernel, however, when to issue the signals is
in struct lfun_item items[] in LyXAction.C

                { LFUN_HELP_ABOUTLYX, "help-aboutlyx",
                  N_("Display information about LyX"), NoBuffer },
                { LFUN_HELP_TEXINFO, "help-Texinfo",
                  N_("Display information about the TeX installation"), NoBuffer },

So this part too is correct.

Now to try LyX itself...
$ ./lyx
No buffer loaded. I can open the two dialogs.

Open a buffer. I can open the two dialogs.

Close it.
No buffer loaded. I can open the two dialogs.

So, I don't see the problem.

Angus