On Thursday 31 January 2002 5:14 pm, Herbert Voss wrote:
> Garst R. Reese wrote:
>
> > A few remaining problems.
> > 1. The ps view of some images goes way off the page. The setting was
> > width 100 p%, which I presume means % of page. I changed to settings to
> > Scale 100 % and all but one came into line. I had to change it to Scale
> > 85%.
> > 2. Some images are clipped in the lyx view, either the left or right
> > side.
> > 3. My preferences says to display in monochrome, the the graphics
> > dialogue defaults to color.
> > 4. Another file with 90 1.6cm x 1.6cm images took 10 minutes display,
> > and each image covered the entire lyx screen. It seems that the height
> > and width parameters are being completely ignored. With the old-graphics
> > rendering was very fast and worked perfectly.
>

> the problem is the conversion to xpm-format, which is
> needed for xforms (don't ask me why ..) and this takes
> some time when the eps(ps) image is a large one.

Actually, this isn't strictly true.

Baruch decided to use the libXPM library as a default graphics loader that
will work with any gui library. So, it does make sense to get it working
properly. Obviously, this library loads only XPM files, hence the need for
the converters.

Incidentally, the conversion process is slow because you're using
ImageMagik's convert, I bet. It's much much quicker if you use the netpbm
suite of converters.

xforms and qt2 and gnome can all load graphics themselves. The long term aim
is to use these. There'll still be a need for the conversion mechanism for
those esoteric graphics formats, but most of the common ones can be loaded
direct.

> In this case choose "don't display" from graphic gui.
>
> Angus is working on this LyX-displaying with scaling.

Yes. And I'll probably also get the hooks in place to use either libXPM or
the gui's one graphics loader. You never know, things might turn out quite
nice!

I think that this is probably a better goal for 1.2 than doing the conversion
in the background.

Hope this makes things clearer.

Angus