Allan> I have a figure at:

Allan>  ../common/new-banner.png

Allan> that I'm using in a document. PDFLaTeX is able to find and
Allan> render it but InsetGraphics complains with an error message
Allan> (Alert dialog) that the file either doesn't exist or is
Allan> unreadable.

See the following comment at the beginning of insetgraphics.C:

    * If the image is from the clipart, and the document is moved to another
       directory, the user is screwed. Need a way to handle it.
       This amounts to a problem of when to use relative or absolute file paths
       We should probably use what the user asks to use... but when he chooses
       by the file dialog we normally get an absolute path and this may not be
       what the user meant.
       [Note that browseRelFile in helper_funcs.* provides a file name
        which is relative if it is at reference path (here puffer path)
        level or below, and an absolute path if the file name is not a
        `natural' relative file name. In any case,
            MakeAbsPath(filename, buf->filePath())
        is guaranteed to provide the correct absolute path. This is what is
        done know for include insets. Feel free to ask me -- JMarc
        14/01/2002]

I think insetgraphics should treat all file names as relative to buffer
directory.