Angus> JMarc, the patch below works perfectly and does all I require.
Angus> I'm not sure it's best practise, however.

It looks reasonable.

Angus> I have to temporarily augment LDFLAGS to get the program to
Angus> link.

You could have augmented LIBS instead. Actually, before Lars did heavy
hacking on that, everything used to be in LIBS and just worked.

Lars, is there a reason why FRONTEND_LIBS is not in LIBS anymore?

Angus> I use AC_CHECK_FUNCS rather than AC_CHECK_FUNC for all three
Angus> variables so that I can #include the correct header file in
Angus> GUIRunTime.C.

OK, I thought it was not needed.

Angus> Can I do this better, or is this good enough?

It is fine, except that the FRONTEND_LIBS thing should be settled.