Andre> On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 03:13:11PM +0200, Lars Gullik Bjønnes
Andre> wrote:
>> Note that the problems will lyxstring will only get bigger.... by
>> clinging to it we introduce a lot of ineffencies (conversion
>> between
lyxstring-> char*->std::string and back... with all the extra
>> allocations that result in), also because of these conversions
>> strings cannot give any meaning to '\0' (and we

Andre> I know. lyxstring was not my idea, though ;-)

I began at some point to convert our stringstream implementation to be
less GNU-ish (so that we can use it with lyxstring), but I gave up. It
should not be too hard, though. And then we would always use this one
with lyxstring.

>> IMHO lystring is just looking less and less favorable.

Andre> Which compiler that we support does not have a sufficient
Andre> std::string?

There are bugs in compaq cxx 6.2 with std::string (an extraneous
assert), but I think it is fixed in 6.3 (cannot upgrade, though).

Also lyxstring means much faster compiling and less disk footprint. I
tought you were interested in these kind of reasons.

Andre> ///

Andre> Another thing: I just had a look at lyxlenght.[Ch].

Andre> Why the hack is it in such a state? I seem to remember making
Andre> 'cleaning up patches' at least twice...

I think what you sent has been applied.