Andre> Most people want to get their job done. If they get it done in
Andre> 28 instead of 36 minutes they are usually happy...

Bjarke> Hmm... I don't understand why std::string is so much worse. Is
Bjarke> it solely because it is a template, and some compilers can't
Bjarke> handle those as well as non-templates?

Yes, I think the code is duplicated in each object file which uses
strings. This definitely sucks, but it seems that the standard has
been more designed as 'if would be nice to have this and that' than
'let's define something that can be implemented efficiently'. And I
can announce that, in 5 years, when we have good compilers for C++, it
will be time for a new standard to get the bloat up again.

Bjarke> It would seem the ideal place to fix this would be on the
Bjarke> compiler side or the standard library side, though that
Bjarke> probably won't happen tomorrow.

>From what I understand, the solution is template repositories. With
compaq cxx, the solution is to put all template instantiations in a
particular directory and link that in at the end. With gcc, you have
to use -frepo, and compile all your project 10+ until all templates
are instanciated. This is crazy.